November 09, 2011

Old Home

So, I grew up in Hong Kong. We moved there when I was 9 and for the first few years we lived there I was pretty indifferent. Then I became somewhat bitter--thought I was missing out on something by not growing up in the States or something like that. Something completely ridiculous. Then the last year or so, I absolutely loved Hong Kong. Loved every street, every bus ride, every time I rode MTR, walking everywhere in a huge crowd of people, towering skyscrapers, a 28th floor apartment with my bedroom overlooking the sea. It really was home. It really was a huge part of me. It still is, but its been so long since I've been back that sometimes it feels more like a dream than 7 years of my growing up. (and I have dreams about being back there at least once a week)

I saw this video floating around on my HK friend's facebook pages and once I finally had a moment to watch it I fell in love with the city all over again. I love Nashville, I do...and Hong Kong and Nashville could be a little more opposite than they already are. But not by much. How strange to know that the only two places I consider home could be so different. Like, so different. 


This video is so breathtaking. I need to watch it at least once a week to remember my old home well, and not the weird way I dream of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me